You will wipe your floors and clean your furniture, but what about the air in your home? Philips found out through a survey that while air quality concerns many Singaporeans, most do not take action towards our own respiratory health. Most of us think air pollution exists only outdoors but indoors is when many allergens are found and are more dangerous for our health because they are confined in an enclosed space. Breathing in clean air on a daily basis is important for your respiratory health in the long term. Yet most of us only scramble for an air purifier during a haze period. In our air purifier guide, we will share the benefits of getting an air purifier for your home, the top 5 air purifiers for you to buy and what they are good for.
Table of Contents:
This article was updated on 19 January 2020.
|Disclosure: Some of the links in this article are affiliate links. They come at no extra cost to you, but if you purchase through our site, we get a small commission or bonus which keeps our site running and allow us to continue creating free content for you. That being said, we only recommend vendors that we trust to use for ourselves. Thank you for your support! For more info on our disclosure policy, click here.|
Benefits of air purifier
- An air purifier will help you to eliminate dust and airborne allergens for cleaner air to breathe in. It can also eliminate mould and odour
- This is especially vital if you have asthma or a respiratory condition. If you have someone with asthma at home, or if you have a pet, it is a must to buy an air purifier.
- Reduces carbon dioxide in your home. If you do not have plants at home, having a HEPA air purifier can help to reduce the levels of carbon dioxide in your room.
Types of air purifier
There are two types of “air purifiers”, one uses a HEPA (High-energy Particulate Air) filter and fan, the other is an ioniser. Both are effective in cleaning air but function differently.
HEPA filter air purifier
How it works: A HEPA air purifier pulls air into the unit and circulates it through the HEPA filter. It then cleans it before blowing the purified air back out into the room.
HEPA filters trap and capture at least 99.97% of airborne particles that equal to or larger than 0.3 microns. This means that even the tiniest of airborne pollutants, even those invisible to the naked eye will get trapped in the filter and not be inhaled in by you. 0.3 microns is the benchmark to be classified as a HEPA filter. Some air purifiers boast even better cleaning results.
- HEPA air purifiers are usually more expensive than ionisers, due to the quality of the filters and the stricter requirements to be granted “HEPA” status.
- An additional cost and trouble of replacing the filters.
How it works: An air ioniser purifies the air in a room by electrically charging air molecules. It creates negative ions using electricity and discharges them into the air. These negative ions attach to positively charged particles in the room (dust, bacteria, pollen, smoke, and allergens), and bond together to create dense dirt particles that cannot float in the air. They then fall to the ground and are much less likely to be inhaled. You can easily vacuum or wipe them up during house cleaning.
- Some ionisers even come with a special electrostatic collection plate that attracts these heavy particles and collects them. You have to wash it regularly but the upside is you can use it repeatedly.
- If without a plate, as the allergens are not trapped with a filter, they can be stirred back into the air if you do not clean your home regularly and well. So, the onus is on you to clean.
While both are effective in their own ways, I personally think a HEPA filter air purifier is more effective as it actually sucks up and traps the allergens in the filter. Whereas for an air ioniser, the dirt falls to the ground, and while you do not inhale it as it is no longer airborne, you are required to clean your house very regularly to avoid it from being disturbed and becoming airborne again.
That being said, HEPA-filter air purifiers are costlier as there is also the maintenance cost of buying and replacing new filters. If you are want to make sure you have clean air throughout the house in every room, it might be a big investment. I suggest getting a HEPA-filter air purifier for your main living room area, or your master bedroom (the areas you spend the most time in). For the smaller rooms, you can get an air ioniser.
Best Air Purifiers with Hepa Filter to Buy in Singapore
1. For a 2-in-1 stylish appliance: Dyson Pure Cool TP04 Tower Purifier Fan (Black Nickel)
Everyone is familiar with the bladeless Dyson Fan. Even Queen Elizabeth uses a Dyson to cool herself and clean the air in the Buckingham Palace. Well if it’s good enough for the Queen, it most certainly is good enough for me. So I use the Dyson Pure Cool TP04 in my living room.
The Dyson Pure Cool TP01 is a cooling fan and air purifier in one! It is an upgrade from earlier models like the Dyson Pure Cool TP00. It captures and removes pollutants from your air with a sealed 360° HEPA and activated carbon filters. My suggestion is that if you are already planning on getting a Dyson Tower Fan like the Dyson Cool AM07, top-up to get the Purifier model so you get to save space with a 2-in-1 appliance. Read Vulcan Post’s full review on the Dyson TP04 and watch a video review below.
Why buy this air purifier:
- The glass HEPA filter is 9 meters of borosilicate microfibres to capture 99.95% of harmful ultrafine particles.
- Uses air multiplier technology to deliver over 290 litres per second of smooth powerful airflow, circulating purified air throughout the whole room
- It has an adjustable oscillation angle from 45° to 350° that can help to project purified air throughout the room more efficiently
- Automatically senses particles and gases and reports them in real-time
- Buy from the official Dyson store Lazada and get a 2-year warranty and 15 days money-back guarantee. It also comes in white-silver colour.
- If you prefer a desk version, check out the Dyson Pure Cool DP04 Black Nickel Tower Fan that also comes in Iron Blue.
- Or if it is just for your use, get the Dyson Pure Cool Me Personal Purifying Fan (it comes with a free replacement filter). I find the Black Nickel design really charming and sophisticated looking, but it also comes in a white-sliver colour which suits Nordic homes.
2. Recommended for asthma & allergies: Honeywell HAP18250 Air Purifier
If you have asthma, respiratory problems or allergies, Honeywell is a popular recommendation. While it might be bulky and aesthetically not as good looking as other purifiers, it is known for its effectiveness in cleaning out air, and is also one of the top air purifiers recommended by Forbes. You can read this extensive review by an allergy sufferer who tests out two Honeywell products. We used to have a Honeywell air purifier in our previous home, but when we shifted to our new apartment, we opted to buy a smaller model due to the lack of space.
The Honeywell HAP18250 is equipped with 3 filters – a true HEPA filter (which removes 99.7% of airborne contaminants at 0.3 microns), an activated carbon filter, and an additional CPZ filter (removes smoke and volatile organic compounds). It is effective for a 45m² space (a living room of about 350 to 400 square feet)
Why buy this air purifier:
- It is able to clean the air up to 5 times per hour
- Quiet-care noise reduction technology: It has a blade and rubber isolated motor mount to help with noise
- Surround Seal designs prevent leaks
- Trusted brand
- Get a replacement filter here
3. For smart cleaning of large spaces: Philips Series 3000i Air Cleaner AC3259/30 (up to 95m²)
The average Singaporean falls ill 2 to 5 times a year. Most of us blame it on a virus or bacteria we caught outdoors, but often disregard the quality of air in our own home. Philips aims to change this with the Philips Air Purifier Series 300i Air Cleaner. It is an air purifier that automatically monitors, reacts and purifies the air in your home, getting rid of allergens such as dust mites, viruses or bacteria.
Featured on Buro247, TechCoffeeHouse, and Hardware Zone, the Philips Air Purifier Series 3000i is a powerful model that can cover up to 95m² of space. It comes with 3 automatic modes – general, bacteria, virus and allergen mode in addition to the five manual modes that range from extra-quiet ‘sleep’ to extra powerful.
Why buy this air purifier:
- Specially designed for allergy sufferers as well, the air purifier has an algorithm that boosts the airflow to remove harmful airborne allergens, which may trigger asthma.
- VitaShield IPS multi-layer filtration technology approved by the European Centre for Allergy Research Foundation (ECARF) and Airmid to remove 99.97% of airborne particles
- Extra thick NanoProtect HEPA filter and active carbon filter removes ultrafine particles (as small as 0.02 nanometers) and common airborne allergens, viruses, and bacteria as well as harmful formaldehyde, TVOC, and odour.
- Equipped with AeraSense a professional-grade air quality sensor that shows you the PM2.5 level
- Connects to the Air Matters app to provide you with real-time air quality and allergen information.
- For smaller areas, check out the Philips Air Purifier 2000 series – AC2882/30 for a 79m² room, or the Philips Series 800 Air Purifier AC0820/30 which is effective for a 49m².
4. The all-in-one solution: Novita 4-in-1 Air Purifier A4S
Novita is a well-known home-grown Singaporean brand for air purifiers, having made them for over 16 years. Their air purifiers use a DC Brushless motor system that generates less noise and is lighter than the usual brush DC motor. Being brushless also reduces wear and tear, improving the efficiency and life expectancy of the air purifier.
The Novita 4-in-1 A4S Air Purifier caught our eye for being an all in one solution. It has a 4-stage filtration system to purifies, humidifies, ionizes and sanitizes all at once! For those of you who want one gadget that does it all, this is the solution for you.
Why buy this air purifier:
- A comprehensive 4 stage filtration system
- Stage 1 Purify: It uses the PuriPro filtration system, a washable mesh filter, cool catalyst, granular activated carbon, 99.97% true HEPA filter to effectively trap and keep airborne allergens, germs, and odour at bay
- Stage 2 Humidify: Instead of getting an air humidifier, the Novita 4-in-1 A4S includes this step. It restores the moisture in your air and prevents dry mouths (which sleeping air-conditioned environments can cause).
- Stage 3 Ionize: This is an additional step in cleaning. Negative ions bind with positively charged particles like dust, bacteria, pollen, smoke, and allergens). It creates dense dirt that falls to the ground so you do not inhale it. Furthermore, negative ions help to freshen up your indoor air and aid for stress relief, boost energy level and increase your alertness.
- Stage 4 Sanitize: Lastly, the Novita 4-in-1 A4S sanitises your air with the air purifying solution concentrate.
- Equipped with a far PM2.5 particle sensor and an air quality sensor light that allows you to quickly know the current air quality in your home
- Power efficiency: Comes with an energy-saving smart night mode that is quiet (38dB)
- Buy from the official store on Lazada and get 2 free bottles of purifying solution.
5. Value for Money: Xiaomi Smartmi Air Purifier 3
We have a Xiaomi Smartmi Air purifier 2S at home and it has served us well since we bought it 1.5 years ago. We were thrilled to hear the launch of the latest Xiaomi Smartmi Air purifier 3 model. It is more efficient and covers a bigger area, up to 48m², which is perfect for bedrooms or apartment living rooms. It’s rear tilting centrifugal fan and brushless motor allows it to handle high air volume efficiently. It cleans 6660 litres of air per minute! It also comes with a high precision laser particle sensor. At below $200, it is a value-for-money buy.
Why buy this air purifier:
- It uses an integrated 360-degree barrel 3-layer filter to remove the PM2.5 and formaldehyde. The first layer intercepts large particles such as hair and dust. The second EPA grade filter replaces fine particles of the micron size, and the third layer of high-quality activated carbon can absorb and remove harmful substances such as formaldehyde.
- OLED touch display shows you the air quality and operation setting. You can set a favourite setting for easy tuning. You can also connect it to the smart app.
- Energy-saving. The maximum power used is only 38W when switched on for 24 hours.
- Can clean at a low noise – 32.1dB(A) to 64dB, depending on the setting.
- It has a minimalist design that is a perfect fit for all home interior styles.
- You can get a Xiaomi air purifier for your car as well
Recommended Air Ioniser: SHARP Plasmacluster Air Purifier FP-J30E
Investing in a HEPA-filter air purifier for every room in your home can get costly, especially when you consider the upkeeping of it (changing of the filter every 1 year). I suggest to buy an air purifier with HEPA filter for your main living area and get an air ioniser for each of your rooms.
The SHARP Plasmacluster Air Purifier FP-J30E is perfect for small rooms, able to cover an area of 23m². It uses plasma cluster technology to remove airborne mold, allergens, odours, and even viruses. It even has a haze mode to collect haze particles to keep the air clean.
- Uses a 3-Step dust collection. The plasma cluster irons reduce static electricity. It then collects the dust using a powerful air suction and airflow circulation. Lastly, it captures the airborne dust and odour particles with a filter.
- Plasmacluster technology purifies your air with the same ions as in nature.
- Winner of the 2008 invention prize by the Japan Institute of Invention and Innovation
- Sleep mode: The fan will automatically switch to low speed keeping it quiet for sleep.
- Reliable and safe: GLP*-compliant has delivered highly reliable safety data on Sharp’s plasmacluster technology.
- If you need one that covers a slightly bigger area, check out Sharp Plasmacluster Air Purifiers FP-F40E-W that covers 30m².
Guide on How to buy an air purifier
Firstly, think about your budget, and the number of rooms you want to have clean air in. You can get a HEPA-filter air purifier like the Xiaomi Smartmi Air Purifier 3 for less than $200 but if you want a more sophisticated air purifier with more features, it can cost up to $1,000 or more. Some air purifiers like the Sharp KC-G60E-W comes with a humidifier function.
Next, consider the size of your room. How big is the area you want to clean? Get an air purifier that can cope with the size of your room, otherwise, it will not be fully effective.
Lastly, get one that is quiet. The air purifiers recommended in this article above all have quiet settings. The last thing you want is your air purifier to keep you awake at night.
When buying an air purifier, do not get confused with a dehumidifier or a humidifier. They work differently.
Air purifier vs Dehumidifier
Air purifiers and dehumidifiers are said to minimise allergens in the room but in different ways. An air purifier circulates air through a filter to trap dust and pollutants. A dehumidifier sucks in excessive moisture and reduces the humidity levels in the air. This will help to kill mould, microbes, and dust mites that thrive in moisture. With a humidity level of less than 50%, these sources of allergies and asthma die. Some air conditioners come equipped with a dehumidifier function. A dehumidifier comes with a water tank that you are required to empty from time to time as the moisture is collected as water inside. I used to have a Novita dehumidifier at home, but find it pretty noisy and troublesome to use.
If you are keen on getting a dehumidifier, check out the Philips Series 5000 2-in-1 Air Dehumidifier DE5205/30 that covers 79m².
Air Purifier vs Humidifier
A humidifier works the opposite of a dehumidifier and adds moisture to the air instead of removing it. What for, you might ask? Do you wake up in the morning with your mouth feeling dry? I have that problem too and switching on the humidifier really solved it for me. Sleeping all night with the air conditioner on can leave your skin, throat, and nose feeling dry. This dryness can cause irritation in many parts of the body. A humidifier does not help to purify the air. If you face the dryness issue, check out the Sharp KC-G60E-W Air Purifier that comes with a humidifier function. Or if you prefer a stand-alone humidifier, check out the Deerma F628 Ultrasonic Air humidifier that has a 5-liter capacity.
Where to buy an air purifier in Singapore
You used to only be able to buy air purifiers from stores, but now you can purchase them online for the ultimate convenience and even enjoy discounted prices! Lazada is my go-to for shopping electronics and appliances. It is also a great place to compare prices.
Financing your home purchases
If you would like to take up a loan for your home purchases, consider a personal loan, as renovation loans do not give you the cash upfront. You can find the best personal loan suitable for you on Singsaver.
That’s our guide on the Top 5 Best Air purifiers for you to buy! I hope that it has helped you to find the best air purifier to clean the air in your home. Please share this with your family and friends if you have found it useful.
Check out our Buying guides below.