Whether you’re craving for a hearty avo cheese toast for your weekday breakfast or reliving the best of your childhood with a slice of spongy, decadent Lamington cake on a weekend afternoon, pairing any of these with a cup of tea is always a good idea. But more than just being a comforting morning beverage or a non-negotiable component in an afternoon tea party, teas are popularly known as a healthy beverage. The variants that possess the most antioxidants are the less processed ones. These include white tea and green tea. Even so, black and oolong teas still possess numerous health benefits though they have a lower concentration of polyphenols. Therefore, all teas including green, white, oolong, black, and pu-erh teas help prevent health issues such as certain types of cancer, cardiovascular diseases, and even obesity.
Now, we can’t blame you if you plan on hoarding teas on your next grocery shopping. But with many options around, which then are the best tea brands in Australia? This article shows you the right direction, providing the most reputable recommendations for every budget and lifestyle.
This post was last updated on 04 January 2023.
Table of contents
Best Tea Brands in Australia
For decades, Australians have embraced Nerada’s great-tasting teas. And we’d like to ‘spill a bit of tea’ about why theirs are one of the best tasting options around. The secret lies in their sustainable farming practices. They champion the use of the freshest, all-natural ingredients. Hence, you can be sure that what fills your cup is truly organic—yup, pesticide-free!
The brand is known for their black tea. Well, that’s because they cultivate it purely in Australia. But they do have other interesting variants like the Nerada Organic White Tea. This is more subtle in flavour. What’s more, because white teas are uncured and unfermented, they possess the most potent anti-cancer properties among all the other tea variants. Thus, a pack of white tea is a must stock in your pantry.
Why buy this:
- Sustainably and organically grown teas
- Rainforest Alliance certified
- Well-loved by countless consumers for many decades
- Delicious-tasting teas—thanks to their commitment to providing consumers with the freshest teas possible
- Must try: the Nerada Organic White Tea for its amazing health benefits
Like Nerada, Tetley is also a Rainforest Alliance certified tea company. In fact, they are part of the founding members of the Ethical Tea Partnership. This means that they’re committed not only to providing tea-lovers with delicious-tasting brews but also to championing sustainable tea farming practices. Tetley has been a household name for 180 years now, which only proves how popular their teas are!
Got a heavy workload? A dreadful exam just around the corner? Or perhaps, you simply want to wake your sleepy mind up on a gloomy winter day? Try the Tetley Extra Strong Tea Bags. If this can’t give you the punch that you’re after, I don’t know what else can.
Why buy this:
- Rainforest alliance certified tea company
- One of the founding members of the Ethical Tea Partnership
- Committed to sustainable tea farming practices
- Has over 180 years in the tea industry
- From classic tea to herbal and cold infusions, they’ve got a bunch of tea options
- Must try: the Tetley Extra Strong Tea Bags for days when you need to be awake more than anyone else
Aside from the classic brews like the green, white, black, and oolong teas, this tea brand in Australia has a wealth of modern tea options in its catalogue. From herbal and floral teas to fruit teas and exciting matcha variations, you’ll never run short of something new to try. And oh, they’ve even got a collection of tea wares and gift sets that will warm the heart of any tea afficionado. Think colourful and delicate teapots and teacups—all these will surely complete what an afternoon tea party should look like.
We get that their wealth of options can be quite confusing. So, here’s a must-add to your tea collection at home: the T2 Tea Tummy Loose Leaf Herbal Tea. This smooth and sweet tasting herbal-based tea is a beautiful combination of calendula, fennel, peppermint, and liquorice root. Its comforting, sweet aroma and taste is such a delight to indulge after meal. What we love is that they’re good for the tummy—think smoother digestion especially after dinner.
Why buy this:
- Has wealth of classic and modern tea options
- You can add to cart pretty tea wares and gift sets too
- Must try: the T2 Tea Tummy Loose Leaf Herbal Tea as a sweet after meal tea for better digestion
Lipton needs no introduction. Because, come on—they’re a household brand! They’re not just a popular tea brand in Australia, they’re also well-loved worldwide. Let me tell you a little backstory about how they produce their best-selling teas. According to the company, their teas are grown by utilising natural environmental conditions: natural rain, wind, and sunshine. This is why Lipton is known for its rich-tasting cuppas.
Over the years, they’ve expanded their product portfolio. They’re known for their affordably priced black tea that we kind of grew up with. You know, those times when you’re sick with cough and colds, and what a relief it is to sip a piping hot cup of Lipton black tea with a squeeze of lemon zest. You’ll also definitely love their green tea, as well as summer-essential Lipton iced teas that you probably drink a lot in many fast-food chains.
On your next shopping spree, go ahead and stock up on either Lipton black tea or green tea. These are definitely classic favourites.
Why buy this:
- Teas are cultivated using natural environmental conditions
- Rich tasting teas
- A wealth of options available from well-loved classics to fruit teas, matcha teas, and interesting latte teas
Speaking of a wealth of options, Twinings could give other tea brands in Australia a run for their money. Twinings has a reputation of blending classic brews with unique flavour combinations. If you’re a bit adventurous, there’s the coconut and mango green tea, orange and lotus flower green tea, and a whole lot more. On the other hand, if you wish for something more aromatic, the Green tea and Jasmine will definitely comfort your senses.
However, you can always stock up on the more classic versions. The Twinings of London English Breakfast Tea Bags would be your go-to morning beverage. Imagine having a plate of sausages, bacon, omelette, and toast on the table. No doubt, this tea will complete the breakfast set. And what more could you ask for to welcome a new day?
Why buy this:
- Twinings perfectly embodies what a wealth of options is
- Unique flavour pairings
- Very aromatic and rich tasting teas
- Their catalogue also includes baked goodies and even chocolates and truffles to pair with your tea
- Must stock in your pantry: the Twinings of London English Breakfast Tea Bags
If other tea brands have an intimidating catalogue full of variations, Bushells keeps things simple. Thus, this tea brand in Australia is perfect for those who want to stick to a few options. There’s the Bushells Australian Breakfast which has a deliciously rich and smooth texture—an ideal morning cuppa. For those who need an extra boost on a busy workday, the Bushells Extra Strong will come handy to keep you in the zone. Meanwhile, the Bushells Evening Decaffeinated is made especially for those who want a bit of relaxation before bedtime. And lastly, their list is never complete without their classic Bushells Blue Label.
Why buy this:
- They’ve got simple options for those who don’t want to feel intimidated by a huge product catalogue
- A nice-tasting cuppa for every need
- Notable constant in your pantry: the Bushells Blue Label
Dilmah is a Sri Lankan tea brand that is globally renowned. Coming from a country known for its verdant, vast tea plantations, Dilmah’s brews characterise fresh, authentic tea flavours. Dilmah owns some of Sri Lanka’s remarkable tea gardens and factories. They championed the concept of Single Origin Tea which means that the tea is picked, processed, and packed right where it was cultivated. Right on their website, you can choose from a variety of cuppas ranging from classic to unique combination of flavours. Teas were also categorised based on what mood they evoke. So, for example, you’re going for something that will keep you focused, head on over to that category. If you want to summon your sleep hormones, there’s a category for that too.
Want something mild, gentle, and sophisticated? The Dilmah Exceptional Fragrant Jasmine Green Tea will surely rejuvenate your tired mind and body. It’s a spa-like treat in a cuppa!
Why buy this:
- Teas were cultivated in Sri Lanka’s finest tea gardens
- A tea brand that promotes sustainable and ethical tea farming
- You can shop based on flavour or the mood you wish to evoke
- Notable addition to your tea collection: the Dilmah Exceptional Fragrant Jasmine Green Tea
8. Red Seal
For nearly a century now, Red Seal is known for crafting herbal tea blends that promote health and wellness. Their packaging is definitely a head turner at the grocery aisles. But it’s the incredible flavour of their teas that captivate people the most. They have herbal tea blends that do not contain caffeine, so these are perfect for individuals who struggle with insomnia. On the other hand, if you do love traditional tea flavours, they’ve got classics such as green tea, too.
Notable mention: The Red Seal Black Adder Liquorice Tea. This caffeine-free tea has a nice sweetness to it, yet its main ingredient has properties that help balance blood sugar levels in the body. Hence, it’s a diabetic-friendly tea.
Why buy this:
- Known for herbal tea blends that promote natural healing
- A reputable tea brand with nearly 100 years in the industry
- Great buy: the Red Seal Black Adder Liquorice Tea, a diabetic-friendly tea without caffeine
9. Billy Tea
Billy tea has been a part of many Aussies’ lifestyle. This good old brand is famous for their Campfire Brew which is a strong black tea that will surely keep your mind awake, alert, and productive. That’s why although its name sounds weekend-y, Aussies love the Billy Tea Campfire Brew on a weekday morning—especially that dreadful Monday when you need to drag yourself out of bed and beat that weekend slump.
But besides jumpstarting your momentum and keeping you in the zone, did you know that black tea helps protect the lungs from the damage that could result from exposure to cigarette smoke? Exposure to second-hand smoke may be inevitable at times but drinking black tea could help protect your precious lungs.
Why buy this:
- A classic Aussie favourite
- Got rave reviews for being one of the best tasting teas
- Strong black tea that keeps mind awake, alert and productive
- Studies show that black tea could help protect the lungs against damaged caused by second-hand cigarette smoke
Madura is the Tamil word for paradise. A name that perfectly suits this tea brand from Australia, their stunning tea plantations are indeed located within paradise-like lush rainforests of northern New South Wales. Committed to sustainable, responsible, and ethical farming and production processes, Madura’s teas are organic and pesticide-free. Moreover, they use recyclable packaging. From classic cuppas to herbal infusions, they’ve got outstanding selections for every tea lover. You’ll even find surprising flavour combinations. For instance, who would have thought about blending green tea and papaya?
Why buy this:
- An Australian tea brand known for their commitment to sustainable, responsible, and ethical farming and production processes
- They’ve got a range of classic teas and herbal infusions
- Surprising flavour combinations are available
- Get your cuppa fix: the Madura English Breakfast Tea for your daily morning beverage
We hope that this article has helped you to find the best tea brands in Australia for your consistent supply of great-tasting cuppas. Please share this with other tea afficionados out there!