I remember the first vacuum cleaner I used. It was my mum’s Rainbow vacuum cleaner. While I must say it was really effective, lugging it around was quite a painful task. It was corded and heavy and noisy and made cleaning generally, a big chore. Fast forward to today and there are so many types of vacuum cleaners in Singapore – wireless, bagless, robot and handheld. With the wave of Dyson vacuums cleaners and its lookalikes, we have more options than ever. So how do I go about buying a vacuum cleaner in Singapore for my home? Let our vacuum cleaner Singapore buying guide show you, comprehensively.
This article was updated on 6 February 2020.
2020 Vacuum Cleaner Singapore Buying Guide + Best Vacuum Cleaners in Singapore
Table of Contents:
|Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. They come at no extra cost to you, but if you purchase through our site, we get a small commission or bonus which keeps our site running and allow us to continue creating free content for you. That being said, we only recommend vendors that we trust to use for ourselves. Thank you for your support! For more info on our disclosure policy, click here.|
Other Buying Guides:
Types of vacuum cleaners in Singapore
Stick Vacuum Cleaner
Thanks to the Dyson revolution, the stick vacuum cleaner is what you will see in most homes. Prized for its slim profile, it is easy to store anywhere, and is good for HDBs and condos. Cordless and run on batteries, it is easy to maneuver around the home. I have been using a stick vacuum cleaner for a year, and it sure makes cleaning feel less of a chore.
- Cordless, flexible and light
- No need to set up. Easy to pick up and do light cleaning around the house
- You can easily maneuver to clean under the bed or sofa, not backbreaking to use
- Takes long to charge (average 4-5 hours) and the battery tends to run out quickly, especially if you use it on high power mode
- They don’t offer a deep enough clean compared to canister vacuums, especially on carpets
- Not suitable for spring cleaning an entire house (especially for big homes)
Get this if: You want to do some light cleaning around the house often, and you want a quick and efficient option.
Best Stick Vacuum Cleaner in Singapore:
No doubt the best stick vacuum cleaner award has to go to Dyson. After all, Dyson was the man who invented the world’s first bagless vacuum cleaner (it took him 5,127 prototypes). Today, the Dyson V11 is the latest model and is said to be the most powerful, intelligent vacuum cleaner. For the cons listed above, the Dyson V11 is an exception to it. It has up to 60 minutes of battery. If you have a carpeted home, stick vacuums are usually not powerful enough, but the Dyson V11’s high torque cleaner and boost mode can deal with dirty carpets in an instant.
Watch the video below for a full review of the Dyson V11.
Why buy this vacuum cleaner:
- Offers probably the best battery life for a stick vacuum (up to 60 minutes on eco mode)
- 20% more suction power than V10
- A high torque cleaner head for powerful cleaning across floor types. It has stiff nylon bristles that drive deep into the carpet to remove ground-in dirt. Soft, anti-static carbon fiber filaments capture dust from hard floors and crevices
- Dynamic Load Sensor (DLS™ ) system intelligently detects and changes the motor speed between carpets and hard floors
- 3 modes for various cleaning needs: Auto (general cleaning), Boost (more powerful cleans) and Eco Mode (for longer cleans)
- The LCD screen displays performance, remaining run time and maintenance alerts
- Easy to empty
- You can also get the V11 Dok for neat storage
- If you want a cheaper price tag, you can consider earlier models Dyson Cyclone V10 or Dyson V8 (you can get it for around $600).
But let’s face it, not everyone has a $1,000 lying around for a stick vacuum cleaner. Here are some other good stick vacuums you can consider:
- The Airbot Supersonics is the top-selling stick vacuum cleaner on Lazada. At a less than $100 price point, no wonder it is so popular. It has 1179 ratings on Lazada giving it a 4.8/5. That’s a pretty impressive score if you ask me! You can top up to get the Airbot 2.0 SuperSonics Pro which has a higher suction power (17kPa vs 15kPa).
- My friend gave me the Dibea H008 Pro for our housewarming and it has served us well. The Dibea F20 Max is a more advanced model with 25kPa suction.
- The Electrolux Allergy Ergorapido 2in1 Cordless Vacuum Cleaner comes in a beautiful soft pink and with 2 years warranty. This option is good for hard floors.
Once I discovered the robot vacuum cleaner in Singapore, there was no going back. How could I have lived without this before? My aunties whom I bought these robots for will also tell you the same thing. Robot vacuums are a real time-saver.
Using advanced technology, the robot vacuum cleaner maps out your space and goes around your home to clean your floor. Most are smart to navigate around furniture and not fall off the steps. Some models even have a mop function to wipe your floors (very useful!).
- You can schedule it to clean at fixed times, so you can have it clean while you are out at work
- You do not have to lift a finger, maybe except to press some buttons (if you did not schedule it)
- Not effective in cleaning the nooks and crannies
- Might get stuck on rugs and carpets
Get this if: You are busy (or lazy) and cannot find the time to clean your house. I suggest the robot vacuum as a complementary vacuum cleaner.
Best robot vacuum cleaner in Singapore: Roborock S6
Watch the video below for a full review of the Roborock S6.
Why buy this vacuum cleaner:
- Uses a powerful 32-bit quad-core processor (the same kind in smartphones). The Roborock S6 calculates the best and faster route for cleaning each room
- Adaptive and organic navigation: Does not just move in straight lines
- Powerful 1500 rpm suction: It can pull dirt and pet hair off wooden floors and carpets
- Tough but gentle: The soft bristles are gentle on floors but hard on dust
- 50% quieter than the S5 so you can do late-night cleaning even when the kids are asleep
- Senses and avoids: It has 14 sensor types, giving it a 360-degree sensing ability
- No-go zone: You can drop a virtual barrier by drawing a no-go zone in the app so that the S6 does not go there. You can protect breakable items like vases.
- Mop unit allows you to wipe down the floors
- Looks sleek and stylish
“Roborock’s intelligent navigation continues to be the most impressive in the industry” – Android Headlines
At $600, some might find the Roborock S6 a steal! After all, robot vacuum cleaners easily cost $1,000 upwards when they first launched. But if you want something more affordable, here are other options to consider:
- The Suzuka 5-in-1 Robot Vacuum with Water Tank is the first robot vacuum cleaner I bought. Though not as smart as the Roborock S6, it is good enough for basic use (not powerful enough for carpets). The price point is very affordable.
- Eufy Boost IQ RoboVac 11S is very slim and said to be the best robot vacuum cleaner of 2018 by Digital Trends. It is good on hardwood floors and even medium-pile carpets. It has BoostIQ technology which automatically adjusts suction power when more strength is needed.
- iLife V55 and iLife V8 is Amazon’s recommended choice and has smart sensors to prevent bumping. It has a tangle-free suction that is good for pet hair.
- Ecovacs Deebot Ozmo 600 is a good dependable solution for hard floors and thin carpets. It also has a mop function. For those smart-home geeks, you will be happy to know that it can integrate into your smart home via Alexa and Google Home.
Canister Vacuum Cleaner
Also known as barrel vacuum cleaners, these are the traditional type of vacuum cleaners. Canister vacuum cleaners have a vacuum head or stick connected to a hose that is attached to a canister, where the vacuum motor is. Canister vacuums can come bagless or with a vacuum bag that you need to empty. I would suggest getting a bagless model so you do not have to trouble with the bag refills.
- Suitable for a wide range of cleaning needs
- The flexible hose allows you to reach further into nooks and crannies
- Bulkier compared to stick vacuums so you will need more space for storage
- Usually corded and more hassle to use
Get this if: You want a tough vacuum cleaner that can do a variety of cleaning.
Best Canister Vacuum Cleaner in Singapore:
As its name suggests, this is the ultimate vacuum cleaner. The Philips PowerPro Ultimate has a powerful cyclonic system for easy cleaning of hard floors to deep carpet. It even comes with floor-level lights to reveal hidden dust.
Why buy this vacuum cleaner:
- Superior cleaning with powerful suction power (17kPa).
- PowerCyclone 8 technology has a powerful swirling action that maximizes airflow (21 l/s) and performance for remarkable cleaning. Huge dust capacity of 2 litres.
- TriActive LED nozzle gently pops open carpet for deeper clean. Air channels at the front suck up large crumbs and brushes at the side clean closely along furniture and walls. The LED light improves visibility in dark places.
- Comes with Carpet Clean for the toughest carpet clean
- DiamondFlex nozzle rotates 180-degrees to go around objects
- Bagless and easily emptied with one hand
- Allergy H13 filter system captures >99.9% of fine dust – including pollen, pet hair, and dust mites. Filtration level equivalent to HEPA 14. Allergy lock also traps the dust inside.
- Comes with a 2-Year worldwide guarantee
- If you want a cheaper model, go for Philips PowerPro Expert Bagless Vacuum Cleaner FC9733/61 or Philips PowerPro Compact Bagless Vacuum Cleaner FC9352/61
For other brands, check out:
- Tefal Silence Force Extreme Multi-Cyclonic Bagless Vacuum Cleaner TW8356
- Tefal TW3786 Compact Power Cyclonic Vacuum Cleaner 2000W
- Electrolux ZUS4065OR UltraSilencer Vacuum Cleaner
If you prefer a bagged vacuum, check out:
- Bosch BGN2A112GB Bagged Vacuum Cleaner
- Electrolux ZPF2320TP Powerforce Vacuum Cleaner
- Tefal TW3969 3L Bagged Vacuum Cleaner
Hand-held vacuum cleaner
Hand-held vacuum cleaners are best used for the car, or for cleaning the crevices in between your sofa. They are light and portable, making it very handy to use for spot cleaning and small spaces like your countertop or the top of your bed. They are much more affordable in price but do note that the suction power is also much lower.
- Lightweight and portable, making it very handy
- Clears away mess very quickly
- Suction power is low
- Not for heavy-duty cleaning
Get it if: You want a handy device to vacuum your car or want something easy and quick to clean the house with. Some stick vacuums like the Black & Decker SVA320T and Samsung VC-LSS93M are 2-in-1 and come with a hand vacuum cleaner.
Recommended Hand-held Vacuum Cleaner in Singapore:
Black + Decker is known for making heavy-duty tools like drills and lawnmowers. Their handheld vacuum cleaner, the Dustbuster is well known for cleaning up spilled food. The clear dustbin is easy to empty and clean. For a more basic and cheaper model, you can opt for the Black and Decker NV1210AV-B1 12V Auto Car Vacuum Dustbuster.
Other brands to consider:
- Philips Handheld MiniVac – FC6149/61
- Bosch Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner BHN2140L
- PowerPac 9.6V Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner PPV602
Mattress Vacuum Cleaner
The mattress vacuum cleaner is specifically made to remove dust and mites from beds and fabric sofas. For those with asthma or sensitive skin, this can be helpful. You can check out the Deerma CM900 or the Xiaomi SWDK Cordless Dust Mite Vacuum.
Wet and Dry / Steam Vacuum Cleaner
Want to get rid of sweeping and mopping altogether? Introducing Wet and Dry vacuum cleaners that replace these mundane tasks with one swipe. These heavy-duty machines are used for a higher-duty clean. The steam can lift dirt and grease, giving you a good clean without the use of chemicals. You get a much cleaner floor compared to a dry vacuum.
If you have allergies, steam cleaners are particularly effective for mattresses and carpets because the steam will kill the dust mites. It is also good for cleaning windows, mirrors and wall tiles.
Recommended steam vacuum cleaner in Singapore:
Why buy this vacuum cleaner:
- The SV7 Steam vacuum 3-in-1 cleaner can steam, vacuum and dry all in a single pass
- Its multi-stage (water, coarse dirt, foam, and HEPA) filter system can remove even the smallest particles
- You can adjust the suction power and steam volume to adapt to the surface and dirt
- See specifications here
How do I choose the right vacuum cleaner for my home?
Now that I’ve shared with you the different types of vacuum cleaners available, let me share the considerations you will think about when buying your vacuum cleaner in Singapore.
How much space do you have at home for storing your vacuum cleaner? If you have a small space, a slim stick vacuum like the Dyson V11 would be more suitable than a bulkier canister vacuum. It even has a docking station for you to place it neatly.
Size of your home
How big is your home? If you are living in an HDB or apartment, a stick vacuum should be sufficient. For my 100sqm home, we use a robot vacuum for a weekly clean, and the stick vacuum for daily use.
If you live in a landed apartment and it takes longer to go through cleaning the entire space, I would suggest getting a canister vacuum. Stick vacuums have very short battery life and take a long time to charge (20 – 40 minutes on average per 4-5 hours charge).
What type of flooring does your house have? If your home is hardwood or tile flooring, you will want softer bristles that are gentle on these surfaces. The Dyson V11 has a soft roller cleaner head with soft, anti-static carbon fiber filaments that is gentle on hard floors.
If you have a carpeted home, you will want to pick a vacuum cleaner with strong enough suction power to clean your carpet, like the Karcher SE6100. If you have mosaic tiled flooring, you might want a steam vacuum cleaner like the Karcher SV7 to be able to clean the crevices in between.
How powerful do you need your vacuum cleaner to be? If you want effective cleaning with just one swipe, you will perhaps need a higher suction power like the Dibea F20 Max with a 25kPa suction.
That being said, if you have a rug at home, it may require a gentle setting otherwise the vacuum cleaner might end up sucking your rug bare.
Most models list the suction power, though in varying units so sometimes it makes it difficult for comparison. You can also judge the suction power by looking at airflow (force of air that moves dirt and dust into the container of the vacuum) and input power of the motor (usually measured in Watts)
Here are our recommended stick vacuums and their suction power:
|Vacuum Cleaner Model||Suction Power|
|Dyson V11||185 Air Watts|
|Airbot Supersonics Cyclone||150 Watts / 17kPa|
|Airbot 2.0 SuperSonics Pro||19 kPa|
|Dibea H008 Pro||150 Watts / 12kPa|
|Dibea F20 Max||25kPa|
|Electrolux Allergy Ergorapido 2in1 Cordless Vacuum Cleaner||18 W|
If you have allergies or have young children at home, get a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter. The HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filter will remove about 99.97% of particles that are 0.3μm or greater. The air released will, therefore, be cleaner than the surrounding air.
Do you have pets?
If you have pets, you will definitely need a vacuum cleaner to suck up the pet hair. But not all vacuums will work, for pet hair is very fine and short.
Mop / Steam cleaner function
If you want to take traditional mopping also out of the equation, you will then need to get a vacuum cleaner with a steam cleaner function. For canister type, Karcher SV7 is your pick. For robots, get one with a wipe function like the Roborock S6.
It used to be that even my neighbour would know I was vacuuming the house. But if you have a baby at home, noise is a factor. Thankfully, newer models of vacuum cleaners now are much quieter.
For vacuum cleaners, anything around 60dB is considered decent, and anything between 60 – 80 dB is considered acceptable.
- Dyson V11 generates between 70 – 78 dB, depending on the mode.
- The Philips PowerPro Ultimate Bagless Vacuum Cleaner FC9932 is 75dB.
- Robot cleaners are generally softer than the stick or canister vacuum cleaners. The Roborock S6, at 58 dB, is said to be quiet it is suitable for late night cleaning.
To give you a guideline, a motorcycle has a noise level of about 100dB, and a conversation is about 60dB.
I know it sounds ironic to have to clean your vacuum cleaner, but maintaining it well can increase the lifespan and efficiency of your vacuum cleaner. Hence, it is key to get a vacuum cleaner that is easy to maintain. Try not to get bagged vacuums as replacing the bags can be a hassle. Also, see if the filters can be easily taken out to be washed or replaced.
But sometimes, it’s hard to know when your vacuum cleaner is needing some help. Unlike most machines, the Dyson V11 has an LCD screen that displays performance, remaining run time and maintenance alerts, giving you full clarity. Washing the filter unit is also relatively straightforward as you can see here. Simply seeing how this guy cleans his Dyson V11 makes me feel like I can do it too.
Where to buy a vacuum cleaner in Singapore
You used to only be able to buy a vacuum cleaner from stores, but now you can purchase them online for the ultimate convenience and even enjoy discounted prices! Lazada is my go-to for shopping electronics. If you prefer to see the fridge in-person, you can always pop by to any of the consumer electronics stores like Best Denki, Courts, Harvey Norman and Gain City near you to check it out before purchasing online.
Financing your home purchase
If you would like to take up a loan for your home purchases, consider a personal loan, as renovation loans do not give you the cash upfront. You can find the best personal loan suitable for you on Singsaver.
We hope that our vacuum cleaner Singapore buying guide will help you to buy the right washer for your home. Do also read our other buying guides too. Please do share this along with your friends if you have found this useful. Do look forward to more buying guides that we will be releasing soon!
Other Buying Guides: