For busy working adults, finding time to dry your clothes on a clothesline in the sun seems almost impossible. And it just seems sad to spend your weekends, well, doing laundry. A dryer is convenient and a huge time saver. The biggest advantage is that you can do your laundry at any time of the day, even when it is raining cats and dogs outside. Moreover, clothes dried in the dryer also require less pressing, which means ironing gets easier. That being said, clothes dryers do take up quite a bit of power. And like buying a washing machine, TV or fridge, buying the right dryer in Singapore can be quite daunting with the extensive variety around. In this Best of Homes series, we show you how to pick the right dryer for your home and introduce the 5 best dryers in Singapore.
|Exclusive Shopee SG Promo for TWV Readers!
New customers: Use coupon code TWVNEW10 to get $10 off $20 min spend
*Limited to 1st 50 new users. Promo from 1-31 Oct 2021.
Click here to redeem now!
Before you go, do not forget to download our free Home Voucher Booklet below. There are tons of discount vouchers & savings for your home purchases. Click the image below to access your copy. Enjoy!
This article is part of our Home Buying Guides series. Click here to read more Buying Guides.
This article was updated on 30 March 2021.
2021 Dryer Singapore Buying Guide: How to Buy a Dryer
Table of contents: How to Buy a Dryer
|Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. They come at no extra cost to you, but if you purchase through our site, we get a small commission or bonus which keeps our site running and allow us to continue creating free content for you. That being said, we only recommend vendors that we trust to use for ourselves. Thank you for your support! For more info on our disclosure policy, click here.|
Other Buying Guides:
- Before buying a dryer, make sure to measure your space to ensure that the model will fit
- Get the right capacity for your home. Dryers usually range from 7kg to 10kg
- Buy an energy-efficient dryer in Singapore. Look out for the energy label on the machine
- Buy from a reputable brand. You will not go wrong with Samsung and LG as they are reliable and innovative brands. Bosch is also a good brand.
Make sure to apply for a credit card that will give you rebates so you have extra savings.
Types of Dryers
Dryers work by drawing air from the room and into the machine. The air is heated and circulated through the clothes to absorb moisture. There are different types of dryers, each with its pros and cons. I will go through each of them below so you know which dryer to buy for your home, based on your needs.
There are 4 types of dryers in Singapore:
- Heat pump dryer
- Vented dryer
- Condenser dryer
- 2-in-1 washer-dryer
Heat pump dryers
A heat pump dryer uses a heat pump to warm the clothes rather than electricity. The air is heated and blown through damp clothes, the air is cooled and water drained off, then the air is reheated again. A small built-in pump will handle this heating and cooling process. Only a small amount of moisture is released into the room air.
- The biggest advantage of heat pump dryers is that they work in a closed-loop system. You do not need an external air duct (for vented dryers in Singapore) or empty the water container (condenser dryers)
- It is also more energy-efficient
- Much quieter as they circulate the warm air instead of the dryer instead of letting it outside the machine
- Can be placed anywhere in your home
- More expensive upfront
- Might take longer to dry your clothes, but does it with greater care compared to electric tumble dryers in Singapore
Recommended Heat Pump Dryer in Singapore:
Rapid yet gentle hybrid drying technology
If you are a busy working adult with little to no time to spare for laundry, this Beko dryer is a perfect match for you. With its innovative fast-drying technology called RapiDry, you can switch to a quick-drying programme during a hectic schedule so you can get your laundry dry in no time! We love how the hybrid heat pump efficiently makes use of the hot air within the drum, making sure that every last drop of moisture is wicked off from the cloth.
The shortened drying time may lead you to think that it entails a harsher drying process, but that’s not the case at all. This dryer is equipped with EcoGentle technology that eliminates colour bleeding, an issue that other dryers pose on coloured garments. This features the standard condenser working hand in hand with the air conditioning system, making sure that the cloth is treated gently throughout the process.
Furthermore, its Aquawave technology also contributes to the efficiency and gentleness of the dryer. A wave-like reverse drum action is made by specially designed paddles inside the drum, which improves drying performance without being harsh on the clothes.
Innovative & ergonomic design for silent and efficient operation
Like the other Beko appliances, this tumble dryer is also equipped with an innovative ProSmart Inverter Motor, a brushless motor that is powerful and efficient, but is also energy-saving and operates silently (66 dB)! Feel free to catch up on your laundry even at the dead of the night without any worries.
Another feature to love about this dryer is its reversible door; unlike other dryers, you can change which way this dryer’s door opens for easier access. With this, you can throw in the load any way you like without the risk of carrying wet clothes around.
Safe and energy-saving smart technology
We always consider our impact on the environment, which is why we’ve been preferring hybrid dryers over others. With hybrid heat pump technology, the existing hot air within the dryer is recycled and reheated all throughout the cycle, which consumes less energy compared to heating up cold or room temp air from the outside.
This does not only make the dryer energy-saving but also highly efficient in terms of performance, which is why it is rated A+++ in the Energy Efficiency Class and achieved NEA readings of 5 ticks energy efficiency. Also, its OptiSense technology enables the dryer to analyze accurately when to stop the drying process, preventing excess cycles.
For safety, this dryer is equipped with a child lock; indicators for water level, filter state, and condenser state; and an end-of-cycle buzzer for worry-free laundry time, even in a house full of rowdy kids.
Why buy this:
- Highly energy-efficient (A+++) hybrid tumble dryer
- RapiDry Technology for fast drying
- EcoGentle & Aquawave Technologies for gentle drying
- Quiet operation of only 66dB
Beko promo code:
|Use promo code TWV20 on CASA’s website for a 20% discount on all Beko products storewide|
Why buy this:
- The Sensitive Drying system combines warm air currents and a gentle drum structure to dry clothes, making it fabric-friendly
- Duo-Tronic sensor: These built-in sensors monitor moisture levels and temperature differences to prevent overheating
- EcoSilence compressor makes it quieter
- The AntiVibration design makes it stable
- Display for time remaining: so you know when your laundry will be dry
If you prefer other brands, here are other models you can consider.
In a condenser dryer, the hot air is moved to a condensing chamber, where it is condensed into water. The water is stored in a tank or drained away and the heat (a small amount of moisture) is released into the room where your dryer is. You will need to empty the water on a regular basis, though some models have the water pumped out of the washer into the plumbing when needed. 2-in-1 washer dryers (covered below) uses a condenser dryer.
- More freedom to place this anywhere (your room should still be well ventilated to allow the warm air to escape the dryer)
- Clothes take a longer time to dry. Depending on the model, the condenser tank might need to be emptied.
- Less energy-efficient compared to a vented model. Converting the air to water needs a lot of energy.
- More expensive than vented dryers in Singapore but has more variety.
Recommended Condenser Dryer in Singapore:
Why buy this:
- This model comes with AllergyPlus that helps to eliminate up to 99.99% of germs and bacteria, even at low temperatures without adding chemical additives. If you have sensitive, irritable skin, this is a good feature to have. AllergyPlus is effective in reducing allergenic residues such as pollen, animal hair and dust mites. It is good if you have babies or children at home. Dryers do take up quite a lot of energy, but this model has a 2 tick energy rating.
- It also features an AntiVibration Design making it stable and quiet.
- Its Duo-Tronic sensor monitors the temperature to prevent overheating.
- Lastly, it’s sensitive drying system combines warm air currents and a gentle drum structure to dry clothes gently.
- If you need a bigger model, here is an 8kg model but it is only 1 tick.
Other brands you can consider:
This is a combination of a washing machine and clothes dryer in one. It uses an integrated condenser dryer. Only a small amount of moisture is released into the room air, and water is used for cooling. This is a great option for small households in HDBs or condos.
- A washer-dryer is good for compact spaces
- A closed-loop system
- More choices for models to choose from
- A 2-in-1 price. No need to spend additional money.
- Not as effective as a dedicated dryer
- Long drying cycle time
Recommended 2-in-1 Washer Dryer in Singapore:
- Samsung’s EcoBubble technology froths detergent with air and water before the cycle begins. This generates cleansing bubbles to penetrate the fabrics and removes dirt up to 40x faster than conventional dissolved detergent. This allows you to wash your clothes as effectively in cool water as you would in warm water, and claims to save energy up to 70%. The bubble soak technology also helps to loosen and remove stains more effectively,
- Though front-loaders are said to have longer cycle times, this model delivers powerful cleaning in less than an hour. It uses speed spray to rinse your clothes more powerfully and accelerates the spin speed to complete your washing in under an hour.
- This model comes with an AirWash technology that you can use to deodorise and sanitise your clothes with heated air. Without using any water, detergent or chemical you can have fresh-smelling clothes.
- Samsung’s digital inverter motor uses magnets to drive the drum’s rotation. This results in less friction, less noise, and vibration. The reduced friction also cuts down on the wear and tear on the machine’s working parts. Samsung provides an 11-year warranty on the motor, which is the entire lifespan of your washing machine.
- This model also comes in 9/6 kg and 10/7kg.
Check prices on Shopee for:
For a more value buy, get a combo set:
So, which dryer should I get?
After going through the different types of dryers in Singapore, you must be wondering, which one is for me?
If you have space constraints (and do not wish to stack), get the 2-in-1 washer-dryer.
- For our home, we use a Samsung 8kg / 6kg Ecobubble washer dryer. This means it can wash an 8kg load and dry a 6kg load. Do note that the drying function is also not as effective as a dedicated dryer (unless you do a 3-hour drying cycle, which takes up a lot of energy.) We only activate the drying function if we need it urgently, or if it is raining outside. Do also note that the dryer function will not work well if you have wet towels in the drum (I tend to remove them before activating the drying mode).
If you do not wish to hang dry your clothes at all, get a separate dryer.
- I would suggest getting the heat-pump dryer. Though it has the highest upfront cost, it is the most energy-efficient, so your electricity bill will not be too high. The eventual bill savings may offset the higher cost at the start.
- For those with a lower budget, get a vented model (but make sure your space can accommodate the air duct).
- If you are not able to set up your air duct, then opt for a condenser dryer.
If you want a complete solution for stacking your dryer on top of your washer, HomeSpace includes a free stacking kit when you buy their dryers.
HomeSpace sells Beko and Elba dryers in Singapore. Their price range is affordable and comparable to Electrolux, Sharp, and EuropAce.
Beko is one of the leading home appliances brands from Turkey. Though not as well known in Singapore, it is actually popular in the UK (one in 3 machines in the UK are either Bosch or Beko). You can read this article comparing Bosch and Beko. Elba on the other hand, is from Italy and is owned by Fisher & Paykel.
Their products below come with a free stacking kit and some even include free gifts with some purchases. See their products and prices below. Prices are accurate at the time of posting and are subject to change.
Beko Dryers in Singapore:
- Beko 7Kg Vented Square Door (DRVS73W) $379
- 7Kg Condenser (DCY7202XW3) $642
- 7Kg Heat Pump 5 Ticks (DPY7405W3) $948
- 9Kg Condenser (DCY9402GXB1)$746
- 8Kg Heat Pump 5 Ticks (DPY8506GXB1) $1,135
- Elba 7Kg Vented Dryer (EBD747V) $459
- 7Kg Vented (EBD702V) see-through Door $429
- 7Kg Condenser (EBD796C) $854
- 8Kg Heat Pump 5 Ticks (EBD881H) $1,180
Where to buy a dryer in Singapore
You used to only be able to buy dryers in Singapore from stores, but now you can purchase them online for the ultimate convenience and even enjoy discounted prices! Lazada and Shopee are my go-to for shopping electronics. If you prefer to see the dryers in-person, you can always pop by to any of the consumer electronics stores like Best Denki, Courts, Harvey Norman and Gain City near you to check it out before purchasing online.
Financing your home purchase
If you would like to take up a loan for your home purchases, consider a personal loan, as renovation loans do not give you the cash upfront. You can find the best personal loan suitable for you on Singsaver.
We hope that our dryer Singapore buying guide will help you to buy the best dryers in Singapore for your home. Do also read our other buying guides too. Please do share this along with your friends if you have found this useful. Do look forward to more buying guides that we will be releasing soon!
Other Buying Guides: