Most of us know that getting a night of restful sleep is important for a productive day ahead and that a good mattress can help to achieve that. But when it comes to buying a mattress in Singapore, most of us do not know our way around it. There are so many mattress brands and literally thousands of different mattresses you can buy. And with the wide range of prices ranging from under $100 to $20,000 and above, how does one know what is the right amount to spend on a mattress? Which is the right one for you? In this issue, our comprehensive mattress buying guide lists 17 Best Mattresses in Singapore for a Rejuvenating Slumber, as we show you how to buy a mattress that fits your sleeping habits and budget. For the ultimate sleeping experience, do also check out our mattress topper, pillow, bedsheet and duvet and quilt recommendations.
Before you go, do not forget to download our free Home Voucher Booklet below. There are tons of discount vouchers & savings for your home purchases. Click the image below to access your copy. Enjoy!
This article is part of our Home Buying Guides series. Click here to read more Buying Guides.
This article was last updated on 19 January 2021.
17 Best Mattress in Singapore for a Rejuvenating Slumber
Table of Contents:
|Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. They come at no extra cost to you, but if you purchase through our site, we get a small commission or bonus which keeps our site running and allow us to continue creating free content for you. That being said, we only recommend vendors that we trust to use for ourselves. Thank you for your support! For more info on our disclosure policy, click here.|
17 Best Mattresses in Singapore [Summary]
This is a summary of our recommended mattresses in Singapore. Details of each mattress are shared below in the guide.
- Best bed in a box mattress in Singapore: Origin Hybrid® Mattress
- Use promo code weddingvow5 for a 5% discount off all products
- 6-zone configurable firmness for both partners: Hallmark Grandeur Mattress
- Use promo code WEDDING15 on BedOrigin’s website or quote at their showroom for 15% off the Hallmark Grandeur Mattress
- Luxury mattresses at an affordable price: Van Vorst Corerhythm 351/352
- Quote coupon code TWVEX5 at Van Vorst’s showroom or via sales consultants on Van Vorst’s website for 5% off all Van Vorst luxury mattresses
- Limited time promo: Get hotel pillows (worth $120), 100% pure cotton luxury bedsheet set (worth $150), and 2D1N staycation freebies at 4-star or 5-star hotels. See below for more information.
- Best latex mattress: Heveya® Natural Organic Latex Mattress
- Advanced support system with 7 zone individual pocket spring: DreamStar Luxury Star 7 Zone Pocket Spring Foam Mattress
- Use coupon code DSM15OFFTWV on HDDoor’s website or quote at showroom for 15% off all DreamStar mattresses
- Luxurious pillow top: HipVan Levitate
- Use coupon code TWV50 on HipVan’s website to get $50 off min spend of $500 storewide
- Best innerspring coil mattress in Singapore: Sleepy Night Bountiful Plush Top Orthopedic Spring Mattress
- Best pocketed coil mattress in Singapore: King Koil Sleep Definition Heritage
- Premium memory foam mattress in Singapore: Tempur Original Deluxe 17
- Best hybrid mattress in Singapore: Sealy Posturepedic Pacific
- Great pillow top mattress in Singapore: Four Star Crown Pinnacle
- Best air mattress in Singapore: Intex Dura-Beam and Fibre Tech series
- Best foldable mattress in Singapore: SeaHorse foldable mattresses or Sleepy Night Orthopedic Foldable mattress
- For hot sleepers: Tempur Sensation 19 with CoolTouch
- For varying firmness: MattX Hybrid (you can flip it for a different firmness)
- Best firm mattress in Singapore: Sealy Posturepedic Enhance Firm
- Best medium mattress in Singapore: Simmons BackCare® Luxury Mattress
Best bed in a box mattress in Singapore
Specially designed in Germany, the Origin Hybrid® Mattress is made from Origin’s signature pressure-relieving foams coupled with an additional layer of high-quality springs. This bed in a box mattress provides luxurious support and added bounce for a great sleeping experience. What we loved was its affordable price tag despite being a quality mattress, hence scoring high in our value for money criterion.
Unparalleled comfort with superior support
Featuring an all-natural latex layer that conforms to your body, this mattress helps to relieve pain by providing better back support, which is especially helpful for people with back issues. Moreover, it has a firmness rating of 6/10, which is a popular firmness among Singaporeans. Its Hypercool™ cooling technology also provides efficient heat dissipation via its high-density, high rebound memory foam. In Singapore’s hot and humid weather, this cooling gel memory foam will definitely help you sleep better throughout the night.
No partner disturbance with state-of-the-art pocket springs and memory foam
Furthermore, the Origin Hybrid® is equipped with high-quality Vanadium Calico Encased pocket springs. Made with state-of-the-art motion isolation technology, these highly responsive springs effectively isolates motion, ensuring that you will no longer be disturbed by your partner’s tossing and turning at night!
Anti-parasitic, anti-microbial, and hypoallergenic, this mattress also comes with a 15-year warranty and a 120-night trial (one of the longest in the industry).
Why buy this:
- Affordable and great value for money for a quality sleeping experience
- All-natural latex layer for better back support
- Cooling gel memory foam with Hypercool™ technology
- No partner disturbance with Vanadium Calico Encased Pocket Springs
- No risk purchase with a 120-night trial
Origin promo code:
|Use the code weddingvow5 on Origin’s website for a 5% discount off all products.|
MactechBuilding, 2 Kallang Pudding Road#02-04, Singapore 349307
[email protected] | +65 8247 0478
Facebook | Instagram
6-zone configurable firmness for both partners
What we absolutely love about the Hallmark Grandeur Mattress is its 6-zone configurations for soft, medium, or firm firmness. If you have a partner which prefers a different firmness level, this is definitely the ideal mattress to get! Personally, I have backaches from time to time after exercising and prefer the middle section of my side of the mattress to be firm, while my partner prefers it medium-firm. With this mattress, we get the best of both worlds. What’s even better is its relatively affordable price for such a feature.
BedOrigin recommends medium firmness for the upper body, firm for the middle body, and soft for the lower body. You can head down to the showroom to test this out, and see which is the perfect combination for you and your partner. The sales personnel are really friendly and helpful, and can assist with swapping the paddings to experience the varying combinations on the spot.
Cooling sensation upon touch
Featuring soft knitted poly-viscose jacquard mattress fabric with iCool technology, the Hallmark Grandeur Mattress has a luxurious plush layer at the top and is cool to the touch. The cooling sensation is perfect especially for Singapore’s hot and humid weather, especially so if you prefer sleeping without an air conditioner turned on.
Ergonosleep spring system
Its Ergonosleep spring system features 12 complex layers of springs, foams and natural latex to better support your sleeping posture while providing superior comfort. The Hallmark Grandeur Mattress also comes with a 10-year warranty. We highly recommend you to try this out at their showroom at the very least!
Why buy this:
- 6-zone configurable firmness, great for partners who prefer different firmness
- iCool technology for cooling sensation
- Luxurious plush layer
- Natural latex, springs and foams for better support
- 10-year warranty
BedOrigin promo code:
|Use promo code WEDDING15 on BedOrigin’s website or quote at their showroom for 15% off the Hallmark Grandeur Mattress|
Address: 33 Ubi Avenue 3 #01-71 Vertex, Singapore 408868
Contact: +65 6214 0351
Email: [email protected]
Luxury mattresses at an affordable price
Established in America since 1888, Van Vorst is a trusted luxury brand producing premium luxury mattresses at an affordable price tag. Placing emphasis on quality, each Van Vorst mattress is designed, meticulously crafted, and hand-assembled in America.
Corerhythm 351 vs Corerhythm 352
We personally went down to their showroom at Four Star Building to test out their Corerhythm 351 and Corerhythm 352. Lying on it felt really comfortable and luxurious, similar to the feeling you get at 5-star hotels, as both Corerhythm 351 (medium-firm) and 352 (soft) provided a superior plush topper of 3” pillow top above the body base. I personally preferred the Corerhythm 351 as it provided a medium-firm feel which is great for my occasional backaches, while my wife found both models comfortable.
We dare say at the price of $2,000 to $3,000+, it’s definitely a steal and very much comparable to the quality and feel of luxury mattresses from top brands costing north of $8,000.
Luxurious pocketed coil spring system
More about the Van Vorst mattresses, they feature a luxurious heat tempered pocketed coil spring system which is highly effective in relieving pressure points while it contours your body perfectly. This helps you to prevent body aches when sleeping. Furthermore, each Van Vorst mattress features top-quality eco latex and high density memory foam.
Biorytmic™ Sleep Fabric Cover
Developed in Turkey, Van Vorst’s new technology, the Biorytmic™ Sleep Fabric Cover, helps provide quality sleep by improving intra-body communication during sleep and improves our body conditioning and mechanical balance. This helps to efficiently relax our body and reduce our stress levels, thereby providing better concentration and energy levels for better living.
We highly recommend you head down to their showroom to test out the feel of their mattresses for yourself. After all, you will be sleeping on it for years! You can also quote the coupon code TWVEX5 at their showroom for the 5% discount.
Why buy this:
- Luxury mattresses with an affordable price tag
- Over 130 years of experience
- Luxurious pocketed coil spring system relieves pressure points when sleeping
- Biorytmic™ Sleep Fabric Cover for better quality sleep
- 10-year warranty
Van Vorst promo code:
|Quote coupon code TWVEX5 at Van Vorst’s showroom or via sales consultants on Van Vorst’s website for 5% off all Van Vorst luxury mattresses|
Special giveaway (while stocks last):
Purchase any Van Vorst Mattress and get these freebies:
Spend > $999 to get Universal Studios Singapore or S.E.A. Aquarium tickets,
|Van Vorst showroom address: 44 Kallang Place, #05-14, Four Star Building, Singapore 339172|
Contact: +65 6909 0022 | +65 9459 6021
Email: [email protected]
Best latex mattress
Known as a one-stop bedding store, European Bedding provides organic latex mattresses that cater to your sleeping habits, needs, and preferences. Its popular Heveya® mattress is made of 100% natural organic latex, responsibly sourced from an organic plantation without pesticides or fertilisers.
Great breathability and hypoallergenic
With its open cell structure and ventilation holes, organic latex is highly breathable, allowing you to sleep soundly instead of feeling stuffy under your sheets. What’s great is that organic latex is also naturally mould and dust-mite resistant, making it the ideal choice for allergy sufferers.
Elasticity of organic latex delivers optimal support and comfort
Featuring remarkable elasticity, the Heveya® Natural Organic Latex Mattress conforms perfectly to the body’s shape, featuring a 7-zone body support for perfect spinal alignment. This helps to promote a good sleeping posture, which in turn prevents body aches. If you love the plush feeling that you get at luxury hotels, we highly recommend the Heveya III, their most luxurious model.
Should partners have contrasting firmness preferences, European Bedding can specially customise their mattress to feature varying firmness on both sides. They also provide size customization and 100-day free trial.
Why buy this:
- 100% natural organic latex
- 7-zone body support for perfect spinal alignment and optimal support
- Naturally anti-dustmite and anti-mould
- Highly breathable, ideal for Singapore’s humid climate
- Comes in custom sizes perfect for any bed frame
- 100-day free trial
32 Eng Hoon St, Singapore 169780
[email protected] | +65 9628 9610
Facebook | Instagram
Advanced support system with 7 zone individual pocket spring
Featuring a premium 7 Zone individual pocket spring system consisting of twice tempered 6 turn 20cm coils, the DreamStar Luxury Star mattress provides superior support and comfort. With a firmness rating of 7/10, this mattress is ideal for sleepers who prefer a comfortable, medium firm mattress.
Optimal support engineered for your body
What’s great about the 7 zone advanced support system is that it features different zones with varying single and double rows of coil. Dissecting the 7 zones into the head, shoulder, lumbar/hips, pelvic, knee, lower leg, and foot and ankle, the DreamStar Luxury Star efficiently mirrors the body shape and provides additional support at areas where you need it the most for a comfortable and optimal sleep experience.
These 7 zones ensure that there is lower pressure on your head, shoulders and hips, while providing more support at the waist and lower back, keeping your spine straight when you lie on your side.
Hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant
Moreover, the DreamStar Luxury Star mattress is also hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant, making it ideal for allergy sufferers. Via its convoluted foam, it also provides a soft, cooling feel and helps relieve body aches due to its unique shape. This mattress is also CertiPUR-US certified, and Oeko-Tex certified. The DreamStar Luxury Star comes with a 10-year warranty.
If you have a lower budget, check out the other DreamStar mattresses here.
Why buy this:
- 7 zone individual pocket spring for superior support and comfort
- Convoluted foam for soft, cooling feel and relieves body aches
- Hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant
- CertiPUR-US certified and Oeko-Tex certified
- 10-year warranty
DreamStar promo code:
|Use coupon code DSM15OFFTWV on HDDoor’s website or quote at showroom for 15% off all DreamStar mattresses|
|Showroom: 11 Woodlands Close #06-06/05, Singapore 737853|
Operating hours: 10am-8pm (Mon-Thu), 10am-9pm (Fri-Sun & Public Holidays)
Contact: +65 6589 8484
Email: [email protected]
Offering comfort fit for royalty, HipVan’s exclusive premium LEVITATE mattress provides the perfect sleep all year round. With LEVITATE featuring a luxurious pillow top with a special combination of memory foam and latex over a pocket spring mattress base, we can attest to HipVan’s claims of “lying on a bed full of marshmallows”. Having slept on a LEVITATE for more than a year, it really is comfortable. LEVITATE’s extra thick springs are individually coiled as well, providing great support for your body and localizing movement so you will not be disturbed by your partner’s fidgeting.
The LEVITATE also features a cooling Adaptive® fabric which provides great breathability, especially important in Singapore with several hot and humid nights should you prefer sleeping without an air conditioner. What we love most on top of that luxurious, comfortable pillow top? The incredible price point. From $799 for a Single to $1,499 for a King, this is definitely a steal. With HipVan offering a 100 nights free trial and a 12-year warranty on all of their mattresses in Singapore, coupled with free delivery and assembly of products, you can be assured of a fuss-free mattress shopping experience.
HipVan promo code:
|Use coupon code TWV50 on HipVan’s website to get $50 off min spend of $500 storewide|
Best innerspring coil mattress
The 9” Sleepy Night Bountiful Plush Top Orthopedic Spring Mattress is made with the traditional Bonnell hourglass spring and has a firmness level 6/10. Moreover, it is topped with high-density foam for a plush topping. For a non-plush top version, check out the Sleep Night Boulevard Spring Mattress. If you are on a budget, you can get the cheaper alternative – Sleepy Night Indiana Spring Mattress. Sleepy Night mattresses in Singapore come with a knitted fabric for comfort, and a 12-years warranty.
Best pocketed coil mattress
A renowned brand in Singapore, King Koil has been a mattress and bedding expert since 1968. This medium-firm bed has a 5 zone individual pocketed spring system. Instead of a uniform distribution of coils that you find in the usual mattresses in Singapore, King Koil has developed 5 specialised contour zones with heavier guard coils and increased coil concentration in the vital centre third of the mattress i.e. spine area, providing extra support where your body needs it.
Why buy this:
- Individually encased coils reduce motion transfer and result in minimal disturbance to your partner
- Latex pillow top provides you with superior support and quality sleep
- High resilience foam encasement gives you a firm seating edge and stability
- Anti-mosquito treated
- Comes with a free bed frame
Premium memory foam mattress
Tempur is a premium brand for mattresses in Singapore which boasts a secret formula said to be an improved version of memory foam. Providing 10 years of lasting quality, this mattress absorbs and distributes pressure with minimal motion transfer. Find out more about the Tempur material here. The Tempur Original provides sleepers with medium firmness and support, bringing you the balance of uncompromising support and body-conforming comfort. Furthermore, it comes with an additional soft-touch quilted layer on top for added luxury.
Why buy this:
- Offers you back support, pressure relief and comfort
- Equipped with a washable cover that you can easily remove to wash
- If you are a hot sleeper, check out Tempur The Sensation Prima 19 with CoolTouch technology that keeps the surface of your mattress cool
|Tempur Singapore Pte Ltd.|
Tel: +65 6933 7667
Best hybrid mattress
Sealy has grown to become one of the leading brands from the USA since its beginnings back in 1881. Developed in conjunction with leading orthopedic surgeons and Dr. Robert G. Addison, a renowned authority on back pain, this Sealy mattress from the Posturepedic Enhance collection is designed to provide initial conforming support and firmer deep down support for your weight.
Why buy this:
- Features Sealy Comfortcore® Premium in the centre third to provide extra conformance to your back and hip area
- Sealy’s SRx®alternating spring technology senses your body weight and motion
- UniCased XT support provides a stable sleep surface and helps reduce motion transfer
- Concentrated layers of latex and memory foam conform to your back arch and designed to disperse pressure points
- SmarTex® fabric helps to regulate your sleeping temperature throughout the night
- Recommended for sleepers with back pain and require more customised support
- Comes in 3 varying levels of firmness to suit your – firm, medium and plush and all with a 10-year guarantee
For a cheaper option, you can check out the Sealy PosturePremier Portland.
|Sealy Sleep Palace (Flagship Store)|
Tel: +65 6235 3166
Value for money pillow top mattress
Crown Pinnacle is Four Star’s supreme mattress under the Luxury Series. Featuring a luxurious box plush pillow top, it gives you superior comfort equivalent to that of a 5-star hotel. The spring structure is made of a mini pocketed and pocketed spring combination. In addition, this mattress also features non-woven poly insulator, high-density visco elasfoam foam and a high-density foam encasement for better sleep.
Best air mattress
Intex is the brand known for making above ground pools and airbeds. They make sporting goods and even spa hot tubs so you can be assured their airbeds are of good quality. I like the fact that they are reasonably priced, and their air mattresses in Singapore come with a built-in pump so you do not have to do it manually. Check out their Dura Beam and Fibre Tech series.
Best foldable mattress
SeaHorse foldable mattresses in Singapore are good yet reasonably priced. They are made of high density and ultimate hard foam layers to provide firm support.
For a bigger size, check out the Maxcoil super foam folding mattress that comes in a super single size. It is of medium firmness and comes with an 8-year warranty. It is also available in 2” and 3” thickness.
For hot sleepers
If you constantly feel hot when you sleep, check out the TEMPUR Sensation with CoolTouch Technology which keeps your cover feeling cool to the touch while absorbing excess heat. Made in Denmark, this mattress utilises exclusive TEMPUR material, which was first developed by NASA to support astronauts during lift-off.
The TEMPUR sensation comes with 4 different depths, Luxe being the most luxurious.
|Tempur Singapore Pte Ltd.|
Tel: +65 6933 7667
15. MattX Hybrid
For varying firmness
Have a partner who prefers a different firmness level to you? No problem! The MattX Hybrid settles this by allowing two firmness choices in one mattress. One side features a softer memory foam, while the other is firmer and provides more support. Both sides feature pressure relief and cooling properties with its Tencel© Twin-Cool technology knitted cover.
Best firm mattress
For those who prefer a firm mattress, check out the Sealy Posturepedic Enhance Firm. Equipped with Sealy’s SRx® alternating spring technology, this automatically senses your body weight and provides the deep down correct support that your body needs. Moreover, the coils are arranged in alternating columns for maximum stability.
|Sealy Sleep Palace (Flagship Store)|
Tel: +65 6235 3166
Best medium firm mattress
Made in Japan, the Simmons BackCare® Luxury Mattress features an incredibly plush super pillow top made of high quality material such as cashmere, wool, silk latex and memory foam. Furthermore, with its highly porous Cold Foam, this mattress dissipates heat quickly for a consistent cool feel. We went to their showroom for a test, and boy does it feel immensely comfortable. For people who prefer a medium firm mattress in Singapore, this is definitely a luxurious one to get.
Tel: +65 6294 2278 | Fax: +65 6293 0002
17 Best Places to Buy a Mattress in Singapore
You used to only be able to buy a mattress in Singapore from retail stores, but now you can purchase them online for the ultimate convenience and even enjoy discounted prices! Lazada is my go-to for shopping for a mattress in Singapore. It is also a great place to compare the prices of mattresses in Singapore. We generally recommend to test out the mattress first, especially for expensive mattresses, before seeking for deals for your desired model online.
If you are not looking to spend a bomb on a mattress in Singapore, but still crave for a good comfort level, check out Origin. Specially designed in Germany, the Origin Hybrid® Mattress features Origin’s signature pressure-relieving foams coupled with an additional layer of high-quality springs. With an all-natural latex layer providing better back support and Hypercool™ cooling technology, this is pretty much a steal for its affordable price tag. Comes with a 15-year warranty and 120-night trial.
Featuring 5 different types of mattresses in Singapore, HipVan offers premium mattresses at a great price, starting at $199. With 12 years guarantee, 100 nights free trial, and free delivery in Singapore, this sounds like the perfect deal to check out. Be sure to test out their LEVITATE mattress in Singapore, it’s pretty awesome and comfy with a plush bounce.
Boasting an incredible 32 years of healthy sleep experience as a market leader of natural latex mattresses in Germany, dormiente seeks to promote a good orthopaedic sleeping position for a comfortable and better sleep. Check out their best-selling Natural Classic Orthoform Female and Male Mattresses, along with their patented SYSTEM 7® and PHYSIOFORM bed slats, which have been recommended by the German Association of Back Posture Trainers as ergonomically effective to help with the regeneration of the spine.
Focusing on natural organic latex mattresses, adjustable slatted bed bases, and accessories, European Bedding is your one-stop shop for all your sleeping needs. They can specially customise a sleeping system for you, whereby the bed base, mattress and pillows all work in tandem for the ultimate back support, suitable for all ages, builds, preferred sleeping positions and personal preferences.
We highly recommend you to check out their showroom which is really cosy, making you feel as if you are lying in your own bedroom. Their sleep consultants can then advise on the most suitable sleeping system based on your body built and sleep preferences. Furthermore, they can even check your spinal alignment to give better advice on the perfect sleeping system for you. They can also customise your latex mattresses to any size and shape you prefer.
Should you and your partner have differing opinions about the preferred firmness of your mattress, European Bedding can help to customise a king-size mattress with one firmer and one softer side with no additional cost! Their mattresses even come with a 100-night free trial for further assurance.
Branded mattresses in Singapore like Simmons feature their own showroom where you will be assured of great service and a comfortable testing experience. Simmons has over 20 outlets islandwide, basically covering every part of the island. Some of their premium mattresses are ridiculously comfortable. We know because we tried out the ones above $10,000. Read about our experience at the Simmons showroom here.
Should you prefer to test out the mattress in person, feel free to pop by megastores like Courts. Their online store even allows you to shop by different categories – type, price, firmness, brand, and size. Check out their outlets here.
Another megastore to check out for mattresses in Singapore is Harvey Norman. With over 10 outlets islandwide, you will probably find one near your place. We recently went to their outlet at Northpoint, and even discovered some lovely homewares. You’ll be surprised to learn that these megastores actually have pretty impressive furnitures nowadays, which make them a great one-stop shop.
8. Gain City
Gain City is another solid option to check out with over 10 outlets islandwide as well. Check out their store locations here. They retail cheap foldable mattresses from $49 to the relatively more expensive mattresses at $6,000.
Cutting out the middlemen, retail markups, Bed and Basics promises to provide great mattresses at an honest price, featuring 14 different mattress brands in Singapore. They provide 100 days returns, and free delivery above $150. Check out their mattress collection here.
A 100% online shop, FortyTwo does not feature a showroom, but good news, you get all those savings! First established in September 2007 with a humble team of 3, their team now consists of over 160 employees and has served over 300,000 satisfied customers. Check out their huge range of mattresses, bedding accessories, and bed frames here.
If budget is a concern, you should take a look at LCF Home & Office Furniture. Marketed as an affordable furniture shop, they even have mattresses as cheap as $25. You’ll be sure to get great deals here! Check out their mattresses here.
12. Sleep Space
A one-stop online store for everything to do with sleep, Sleep Space carries mattresses, pillows, bed frames, bed linens from a wide variety of brands. Mattresses here range from $79 to $4,000+. You can also shop by price, brands, firmness, type and size here.
13. Tilam King
A mattress and bedding boutique, Tilam King features various series of mattresses, namely the Luxury series, Premiere series, Deluxe series, Ergo series, Hotel Suite and Bedding series. Find out more here.
Introduced to the world back in 1931, Serta has gained a reputation for being a pioneer in comfort in the field of mattresses. Every Serta mattress provides true exceptional comfort, from their breakthrough iComfort® Sleep System to the iconic Perfect Sleeper®. Check out their sleep centres locations here.
TEMPUR mattresses are tested to last, promising to provide uncompromising quality sleep each night for many years. What’s pretty amazing is that the TEMPUR® material was first specially designed by NASA® in the 1970s, cushioning and supporting astronauts during lift-off into space. TEMPUR scientists then adapted this material and introduced it to the world in the form of mattresses and pillows. Check out TEMPUR’s mattress collection here, and outlets islandwide here.
Seen the Posturepedic logo around those megastores? Those plush comfy mattresses come from Sealy, one of the world’s most trusted mattress brand. The roots of Sealy dates back to 1881 in a small Texas town called Sealy. Many of our friends have mentioned that Sealy mattresses are incredibly comfortable, so do check them out. See their mattress range here, and outlets islandwide here.
Lastly, as a bonus, you can also check out furniture expos at the Singapore Expo to buy discounted mattresses in Singapore.
The Types of Mattresses in Singapore
Before you can decide what mattress to buy in Singapore, you must first know what are the different types of mattresses in Singapore. Mattresses are made of different types of materials that will suit different sleeping styles.
The materials used will also affect the cost. For example, latex is considered to be the best in terms of comfort and durability (able to last 10 years or more) and hence expensive. Mattresses made with latex will be pricey. I will be sharing the different types of mattresses in Singapore and their pros and cons.
Bed in a Box Mattress
The bed in a box concept originated from the USA and refers to online mattress shopping. You will receive your bed literally wrapped up in a box. Most of them include free 100-day trials for you to test out your mattress in the comfort of your own home. They are usually hybrid mattresses. We have listed the most popular bed in a box online mattress stores here. For our master bedroom, we picked the Hipvan Levitate mattress that retails at $1,499 (spoiler alert: it is very comfortable).
For queen or king-sized mattresses, bed in a box mattresses in Singapore average from $800 to $1,500 depending on the model type. While bed in a box mattresses cannot compare to the high-end models like Simmons BackCare® Luxury (which retails from $8,000), it can be compared to the entry models from branded mattresses, and it is definitely better than those cheap, brandless mattresses.
Get this if you are very shy about testing your mattress in public, or if you are simply too busy to head down to any showrooms.
This is the traditional type of mattress and also the most common type. Standard innerspring mattresses in Singapore use metal springs, giving it a bouncy feel, but also the squeaky noise. This type of mattress uses outdated technology hence you will not find speciality stores or branded mattresses providing this option. I would not recommend it for long-term use as they do not last very long too.
- Cheapest option
- The low density of foam leads to it retaining little/no heat
- Easy to buy from anywhere, both online and offline
- The metal coils are connected, and you will feel any and every movement made by your other half. Not suitable for couples
- Lack of support
- Not suitable for people with arthritic problems
- It does not last long. Will sag and be uneven after a few years of use.
Get it if:
- You are buying a spare bed for guests or stay overs.
Recommended spring mattress in Singapore: Sleepy Night Bountiful Plush Top Orthopedic Spring Mattress
Pocketed Coil Innerspring Mattress Singapore
Consider this the improved version of standard innerspring. Most branded mattresses use this technology. It works on a similar spring system, but the difference is that these coils are grouped into “pockets”. The pockets minimise movement transfer and improve support. It provides a better sleep experience than the first choice.
- Relatively affordable
- Cheapest model for branded mattresses
- Comfortable night sleep
- Still has that springy, bouncy feel which some might not like
- The quality depends on the foam covering it as well
Get it if:
- You are looking for a comfortable bed, but do not want to spend too much. Or if you like the springy effect.
Recommended pocketed coil mattress in Singapore:
If you are not a fan of springy beds, you probably will go for a memory foam mattress. Memory foam was first developed by NASA for astronauts. Well, it is good enough to support astronauts during lift-off, I’m certain it is good enough to support me to dreamland! In terms of comfort, memory foam is a frontrunner. It hugs and conforms to your body, and gives you that ‘sink in your bed’ feeling like Princess and the Pea probably felt.
- Offers superior comfort and conforms to body shape (great for side sleepers)
- Minimal motion transfer (similar to pocketed coil innerspring mattresses)
- Provides pressure point relief and evenly distributes your weight (good for joint health)
- Typically resistant to mould, mildew and dust mites
- Can last a long time (more than a decade)
- Very Expensive (branded mattresses in Singapore have these models as their top-of-the-line SKU)
- Tends to retain heat (if you get hot while sleeping this might not be suitable for you. Consider a mattress that has a top layer of cooling material)
- Typically made with harsh chemicals so it might not be good for sensitive skin
Recommended memory foam mattress in Singapore: Tempur Original Deluxe 17
Latex Foam Mattress Singapore
Latex is often mistaken for memory foam because both have body contouring effects. But in fact, it is made of a completely different material and behaves differently too. Latex is basically rubber, and hence, it is elastic and resilient. There are several types of latex: synthetic, natural and organic being the top of the range.
Few mattresses are made of 100% latex and it is often used as the top layer. A pure latex core has an open-cell structure, facilitating air circulation through the mattress and keeping the humidity and temperature low. This is also why latex has great allergen resistance to dust mites and mould.
One of the main reasons to get a latex bed is for its comfort and durability. Through its natural elasticity, latex provides the right amount of back support without needing any springs. Moreover, this support will last for years longer than other mattress materials.
- Minimal motion transfer
- Most expensive material
Get it if:
- If you have asthma and skin allergies. Natural Latex is resistant to mould and dust mites without the use of chemicals.
- You get hot and sweaty at night when sleeping. Latex will help to cool you down
Hybrid Mattress Singapore
Hybrid mattresses have multiple layers and use a combination of the materials mentioned above for customised comfort. It gives you softness and stability. Common hybrids you will find are memory foam-innerspring and latex-innerspring. The memory foam or latex balances out the bounciness of the innerspring and adds an element of body contouring that the coils would otherwise not be able to provide.
- Provides good support for spine and back by combining both foam and spring
- Good motion isolation (good for couples)
- Expensive. Require more materials and workmanship than a single material bed. You will find hybrids in mid to premium brands.
- It can be quite heavy and not easy to move around. If you have a storage bed, it will be quite heavy to lift up. It might be troublesome for spring cleaning as well.
Get it if:
- You want the best of both worlds and customised comfort
Recommended hybrid mattress in Singapore:
Pillowtop Mattress Singapore
If a mattress could hug you, it would be a pillowtop mattress which features an extra foam pillow layer on top for superior comfort. Pillowtop mattresses are what you find in 5-star luxury hotels. They are extremely comfortable and offer a perfect sweet spot for the majority of sleepers. Once you sleep on a pillowtop bed, no other beds will come close.
The downside is that a pillowtop bed is very prone to wear and tear. After long-term use, the pillow top will be thinner and your “hugging” effect might disappear.
Recommended Pillowtop Mattress in Singapore:
Air Mattress Singapore
An air mattress, simply put, is made of air. It is an inflatable bed usually made from vinyl, plastic or rubber material. Due to its portability and small size when deflated, it is great for guests’ bedding or camping trips. While very cooling to sleep on and cheap, pumping it up might be troublesome and take some time. Also, sharp objects can puncture a hole in the bed and cause a leak, making it unusable.
Intex is the brand known for making above ground pools. They too make sporting goods and even spa hot tubs so you can be assured their airbeds are of good quality. I like the fact that they are reasonably priced, and their air mattresses in Singapore come with a built-in pump so you don’t have to do it manually. Check out their Dura Beam and Fibre Tech series.
Foldable Mattress Singapore
Foldable mattresses are perfect for stay overs and guests when they come to visit. Usually in single sized and made of foam, it is a three-layer foldable design that is made easy for space saving and convenient for placement.
Recommended foldable mattress in Singapore: Sea Horse Foldable Healthy Mattress
8 Simple Steps to Buying a Mattress in Singapore
1. What is your budget?
There is a huge range of pricing when it comes to the cost of a mattress in Singapore. Knowing your budget will allow you to narrow down your options, and makes it easier when choosing the type of bed to buy.
Cost-wise, you can get mattresses in Singapore that cost under $100 (cheap, brandless ones) and you can get top-end luxury mattresses in Singapore that can cost $10,000 and more.
I suggest budgeting about $2,000 to $5,000. That budget should be able to get you a pretty decent mattress and accessories (pillows, toppers, bedsheets). A bed frame will cost somewhere between $500 to $1,000 and more.
Make sure to apply for a credit card that will give you rebates so you have extra savings.
2. How firm should your mattress be?
How firm you like your mattress will depend on your preferred sleeping position.
- If you are a back-sleeper, medium-firmness would be suitable for you. It will provide support for your spine, back, and neck.
- Side sleeper? A softer bed will suit you better. Side-sleepers tend to prefer a thicker comfort layer that supports and contour around the body. Pillow top mattresses would be a good choice.
- If you are a stomach sleeper, get a firm mattress to keep your spine aligned.
- What if I’m a combination sleeper? This means you switch positions throughout the night. Get one that will suit your most common positions and pick something in between.
It is important to buy a mattress with a firmness that fits your sleeping position. Sometimes, tossing and turning could be due to a bed being too firm or too soft. A mattress too firm might create pressure points to feel sore or numb, causing you to move into different positions throughout the night. A mattress too soft can make your back feel sore and achy due to your spine not being aligned properly.
Have a chat with your partner to see how to best align your preferences. If one is a side sleeper and one a back sleeper, you can meet in the middle with something of medium fitness. If that does not work, some speciality stores like Simmons are able to customise beds that have different firmness for each half.
3. What are your sleeping habits?
On top of your sleeping position, it is also important to know your sleeping habits. This will aid you in buying a mattress that suits your needs and preferences.
- Consider your build. If you are a bigger person, you might want a firmer and possibly thicker mattress. A soft bed may cause a sunken feeling in your back.
- Do you perspire easily during sleep? If so, avoid memory foam mattresses that retain heat. Get something with a gel cooling layer.
- Does your partner move a lot? If so, you should get a mattress with minimal motion transfer. Avoid the standard innerspring beds.
- If you are a light sleeper, buy one with individual pocketed springs.
- If your child sleeps with you, make sure to get a waterproof protector (try the Snowdown Premium Fitted Waterproof Mattress Protector). It will save you a whole lot of trouble. Also, get a king-sized bed so that there’s space for everyone.
- Do you have asthma or sensitive skin? If you are, consider a latex mattress for it is naturally hypoallergenic.
- Do you have back pain or aches? If so, you will want to get a mattress that gives you good support. Try the King Koil Spinal Guard 13.5 inch Pocketed Coil Spring Mattress.
- Consider how much space you have in the room for your bed. It will determine what size to buy (next point).
4. What size are you looking for?
Below are the standard dimensions for the various mattress sizes commonly found in Singapore. American sizes are different.
We use a King-sized Hipvan Levitate in our master and a queen-sized Simmons for our guest room. If your room has sufficient space, I suggest a king-sized for a couple, as it is very spacious and comfortable. That said, if you have a limited budget, you might want to consider decreasing your size (from king to queen) in order to get a better quality bed.
After picking your size, make sure to take down the dimensions so you get the right bed frame and bedsheets.
|Size||Dimensions (in cm)|
|Single||190 x 91|
|Super Single||190 x 107|
|Queen||190 x 152|
|King||190 x 182|
5. Choose your mattress type
In short, there are 4 mattress types – spring (standard or pocketed coil), memory foam, latex, and hybrids (details above). Generally, mattresses are made of two layers, a support layer and comfort one.
Think about whether you prefer a spring or foam mattress. Spring mattresses are cheaper than foam mattresses, but foam mattresses offer more support, contours your body better, and holds its shape better (hence last longer). I would recommend a foam bed if your budget fits.
That said, memory foam mattresses in Singapore do retain more heat, so if you are a sweaty sleeper, you might want to choose one with a gel topping, made of latex (more expensive) or you can always go back to a spring mattress.
Latex is getting very popular as it is eco-friendly and hypoallergenic. It also can give you all the benefits and comfort that memory foam has. It is expensive, but you get what you pay for.
6. Which brand of mattress should I get?
When thinking about mattresses, well-known brands that commonly come to mind include Simmons, King Koil, Sealy.
Below is a list of well-known mattress brands in Singapore. You won’t go wrong getting your beds from one of these brands. Find out more about the most popular brands.
These are the ‘bed in a box’ brands in Singapore that we featured in our online mattress shopping guide. Read the full guide to find out more about the pricing and type of mattresses they sell.
7. Make sure to test your mattress
A mattress is a long-term purchase. It is important to test it by lying down on it, whether in-store or at home. Speciality stores like Simmons make mattress testing a very comfortable (and not awkward) experience.
Here are the steps to test out your mattress:
- Lie in the positions you usually sleep in, for at least 10 to 15 minutes.
- When lying down, relax into your normal sleeping position. What you should be looking out for is support, comfort, and fit.
- There should be no space between you and your mattress. Your spine should be aligned and supported. There should not be a gap where your back arches.
- If you have a sleeping partner, make sure to test the mattress out together so you can keep your eye out for movement as you change positions. Have a discussion on what is best for you – firm or soft. If you both have differences in the firmness, go for something in between.
- The specifications are not more important than comfort, but knowing the features i.e. hypoallergenic, will help you make a better decision on whether the mattress is worth the price.
- Ask about returns and trial periods
8. Things you should not do
Do not buy a second-hand mattress to save money.
There is a risk of bed bugs when you buy a second-hand mattress. They are sometimes not visible to the eye as they hide in the mattress. Also, the previous owner would have slept on it, and without proper and thorough cleaning, there will be bacteria and germs on it. Used mattresses are also worn out and will not provide the support you are looking for. It is better to get a new, slightly lower-quality mattress for cheaper than go for a second-hand option (unless you know the previous owner very well).
Do not buy a cheap mattress for the sake of the price (unless it is for rare use for guests).
A good mattress gives you good health and good sleep (which gives you a positive attitude). You are going to spend one-third of your life sleeping on it, so it is important to get a good one. If you have a busy schedule and a few hours of sleep, it is important to make those hours count.
While you should not buy what you can’t afford, I do believe budgeting for a good bed is key.
FAQ about mattresses
How do I clean my mattress?
You spend on average 6-8 hours every day sleeping on your mattress. Cleaning it regularly is very important to keep it hygienic.
Here’s how to clean your mattress:
- Buy a mattress that is resistant to dust mite, mould, and mildew
- Use a mattress protector. Try the King Koil 100% Cotton Fitted Mattress Pad Protector. If you need a waterproof protector, get the Snowdown Premium Fitted Waterproof Mattress Protector.
- Vacuum your mattress at least once a month. You can use a handheld vacuum cleaner like the Black and Decker Dustbuster or the Bosch Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner that makes cleaning your bed so much easier. Some stick vacuums like the Black & Decker SVA320T and Samsung VC-LSS93M are 2-in-1 and come with a hand vacuum. For more vacuum recommendations, read our vacuum cleaner guide here.
- Keep your mattress dust mite free, use a vacuum like the Xiaomi SWDK UV Dust Mite Cleaner or the Xiaomi Deerma CM1500 to clean it regularly.
- Change your bed sheets regularly. I make sure that I have 2 sets of bedsheets so I can alternate between them without worrying about whether my one set dries in time.
- If your bed smells, apply a thin layer of baking soda to the top. Leave it for 10 minutes before vacuuming it up. Your bed should smell much fresher.
- You can air or sun your mattress. Letting it breathe in fresh air and sunlight will help to kill bacteria, dust mites and also get rid of bad smells.
Proper care for mattresses
With proper care, a good mattress can last a decade or more. Unlike my air conditioner, I did not think that my mattress needed taking care of. But caring for your mattress can increase its lifespan, and provide you with better comfort throughout the years. You can rotate it regularly (this will help to even out the depressions and prevent the same area from getting “sunk in”). To ensure your bed last the years, avoid sitting on the edge of the bed, jumping on your bed, or carry it using the straps (the straps are meant for adjustments only).
When should I change my old mattress?
Sleeping on a saggy mattress that no longer supports your body is not recommended. If you are sinking more than 2.5 cm into your bed regardless of where you lie on, it is time to change your mattress.
Financing your home purchases
If you would like to take up a loan for your home purchases, consider a personal loan, as renovation loans do not give you the cash upfront. You can find the best personal loan suitable for you on Singsaver.
We hope that our mattress Singapore buying guide will help you to buy the best mattress in Singapore for your home. Do also read our other buying guides below. Please share this with your friends if you have found this useful. Stay tuned for more of our buying guides that will be released soon.